Soapsmith's Baked Beans

Hello friends,




This recipe is for, as my Mom used to say, “doctored up” baked beans.  I make these for all of our gatherings and picnics.  The recipe is easily adapted for your personal tastes.  I don’t measure so I am giving approximate measurements.  Like all of my homemade recipes, it is forgiving for any adjustments you want to make.  This can easily be reduced or increased to meet a small family gathering or a huge event. This is what I make for family but I make as much as a roaster full for our big holiday cookouts, wedding etc.




You can use any brands you prefer.  Here is what I use:


Soapsmith’s Bacon Baked Beans

Two tall cans (28 oz size) of Bush’s Baked Beans (any flavor)
Two cans black beans (15 oz size)
1 large onion
1 pound bacon 
About 1 cup prepared BBQ sauce – any brand you like
About ½ cup Ketchup
About a cup of brown sugar – more or less to your taste
Couple tablespoons each of Molasses, Balsamic Vinegar, and Soy Sauce
Generous amount of black pepper to taste


Fry the bacon crisp, drain and crumble.
(You can substitute a couple of handfuls of purchased bacon bits
just be sure it is real bacon rather than the imitation.)

Finely dice the onion and saute in the pan until light browned.
(If you used purchased bacon bits 
you can add a little oil to the pan to saute the onion)
Once the onion is soft and lightly browned
 add the rest of the ingredients except the beans
to the pan and bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes or so.

Drain and rinse the black beans. Once I open the cans of the baked beans I drain off some of the sauce from the top of the can.  You can leave some but the sauce you made replaces the commercial sauce that come in the canned baked beans.

Add the beans to the sauce.  You can simmer on the stove top, grill, smoker or bake in the oven until the sauce is nicely reduced and caramelized – usually about 45 min to an hour.





You can serve warm or cold.  I prefer the beans cold, they taste quite different warm or cold – I like them right from the refrigerator as the sauce is very thick and concentrated in taste but others like it warm.  I love the beans which are spicy and sweet with my savory homemade macaroni or potato salad - a delicious contrast, yum!


Enjoy!

Thanks for visiting,

Bonnie









No comments:

Post a Comment